1. a disembodied spirit of a dead person supposed to haunt the living as a shadowy, pale, evanescent form.
2. a haunting memory, a semblance, a trace, a ghost of his former self.
3. a faint possibility or glimmer, a ghost of a chance.
4. the principle of life, soul, spirit.
5. a secondary image, especially one appearing on a TV screen as a white shadow caused by poor or double reception or a fault in the receiver.
6. a faint secondary or out-of-focus image in a photographic print or negative resulting from reflections within the camera lens.
7. another name for ghostwriter.
8. a fictitious employee fabricated for financial benefit.